Manipur University’s, Centre for Manipur Studies (CMS) overall performance has been awarded ‘Very Good’ in the point scale of 4.5 out of 5 at the Mid Term Evaluation of University Grants Commission (UGC) Area Study Centres held on 28 April 2017.
The UGC in its letter No. F.112-1/2011(ASP) dated 8 June 2017 addressed to the Registrar, Manipur University had conveyed that the overall performance grading of the Centre was awarded ‘Very Good’ in the point scale of 4.5 out of 5 at the recommendations of the UGC constituted Expert Committee. It was done on the basis of the Evaluation of the CMS’s achievement status of the Objectives as per Scheme guidelines.
The objectives are:
1. Promotion of holistic understanding of the area with its cultural, social, economic and strategic specificities
2. Promotion of alternative paradigm of area studies from the perspectives of post-colonial societies
3. Contribution towards Indian perspectives of the region and issues
4. Providing critical inputs to the policy maker’s, particularly in India’s economic, strategic and political interests
5. Bringing knowledge of regions of the world to the core of intellectual disciplines
6. Conducting research to promote inter-regional comparative perspective
It accredited that ‘the Centre is doing a good job’ as the UGC is pleased with the research output and other academic activities of the Centre. It also as ‘special comments to the Centre’ directed that the ‘Centre may extend the area study beyond Manipur’ which is in consonance of the proposals already made by the Centre for expanding the domain of the research to cover the whole region of North East India. The Centre, at current, focusses on the Society, Polity and Economy of Manipur, concentrating within it, on Conflict Studies, Ethnic Studies, Development Studies and security issues.
The letter also recommended and approved for commensurate additional research grant to the Centre and continuation of the activities at the same level under ASP.
The Hon’ble Vice Chancellor of Manipur University, Prof. Adya Prasad Pande expressed happiness and satisfaction in achieving this feat by the Centre and appreciate the Director, Faculty Members, and Staffs for their hard works in realizing it.”
Press Release issued by Prof. MC Arunkumar, Director, CMS, MU.