BRIEF IN COL. MINOO DARASHAW COMMISSARIAT BASED ON HIS RECORD
Born on 22nd August 1923 at Bhavnagar, his mother’s native village
Marrried with Ms. Phalkhokim, Phalchung Gangte, Daughter of Chief Khanpi Village on 3rd March 1971
Died on 18th February, 2014 at 2:00 am at his residence in Chingmeirong, Nepali Basti, Imphal
During his college days, World War II broke out and he like many young College students did not complete graduation but joined the Armed Forces.
He went for training to the Indian Military Academy at Dehradun and was commissioned on 16th June 1942 in the Indian Lord Forcces of His Majesty’s Government. His parolement Commission was signed by L Lord Linlightgow, Viceroy & Governor General of India on behalf of the king. During his training period at the IMA, he met Maharaj Kumar P.B Singh of Manipur who was also there undergoing training. All the Instructors were British.
During the entire period of World War II, he served as the Burma Front. He first came to Manipur with his battalion in 1943. After the Ward was over, he stayed in Burma for another about 2 years with his battalion. He practically saw the whole of central and southern Burma during his stay in Burma. During his 31 years of Service, he had seen all the States of India ; from Kashmir to Kerela and from Mizoram to Maharastra, he went to VIET-NAM. This commission was composed of India. Canada and Poland Secretary General ( Operation ) in the ICSC. He retired from the Army as Deputy Inspector Genral of Assam Rifles ( Mizoram ) on 15th August 1973 after having served for 31 years.
After retirement from the Army,he was re-employed by the Assam Rifle as Director if Assam Rifles Ex-Servicement’s Association. He served in that capacity for 14 years. But had health compelled him to resign from that post on 1st May 1973. During this tenure, he was awarded Governor’s Gold Medal for meritorious service.
When he was commanding 16 AR at Ghaspani ( Nagaland) in the Year 1971, he met Phalkhokim Phalchung Gangte, Daughter of Chief of Khanpi Village who was then working in the hospital of 16 AR. He married her on 3rd March 1971.
As we know, Parsis are well known for their Charitable works. Apart from giving some substantial amount to the Parsi Hospital and Masani Hospital in Bombay, he bought a piece of land in Churachandpur, meant Primarily for poor Gangte people and established a village ther called initially COMMISSARIAT which is now called “KIM COMMISSARIAT”. Here he hope and wished to finally rest.
“ Call no man Happy till he dies….
He is atbest fortunate” is the last word he has written in his brief history.
News submitted by Raymond Gangte